Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The B-word

These days, you can't be too sure of what the B-word is in our house. Emma is having some difficulty saying "sandwich"...any guesses which b-word comes out?

But I am actually talking about the "budget" word. It is a word from which I have run most of my life, but something that I am finding to be a necessity now. I have realized that, for me at least, I do a lot of pride-swallowing to be on a budget. No more than $50/week on groceries. The lowest cell phone plan available--and I talk on the phone a lot. No cable (as of the end of this week). No Starbucks. Ouch.

I have realized, though, that this is a sacrifice that I love making because of what I get in return. I get to stay at home and take care of Dan and Emma. And I LOVE it.

And as my husband pointed out tonight, it is something that has become a game for me. Who is going to have the best deal on meat this week? Where can I find the least expensive, best quality clothes for my money (Emma has outgrown all of her 2T stuff, and I am growing into my non-existent maternity wardrobe)? Where are the best places to go in Charleston for free? And, on the occasion that we eat out, which restaurant is having "Kids Eat Free" night? It's like a treasure hunt!

So I'm not expert...yet. But I am slowly learning how to make my family's money go as far as I can.

1 comment:

kellyliz82 said...

Gotta love that B word. We're right there with you. Going back to college as an established family of four wasn't the easiest transition we have made. And I love that game too.;)